• CommentTimeOct 26th, 2014 7:57pm (Oct 26th 2014) edited

Today we walked to a nearby garden centre and woods that is about 3 miles from our house. It was a really scenic walk as we got to follow the road along the canal for the majority of the walk

photo wood9_zps78e44d14.jpg

Love this pic, although I have no idea what most of them are! :bigsmile:

photo wood_zpsd7e6a02a.jpg

The garden centre was great! Perhaps the best thing was that they already had Christmas decorations up...this is the only large garden centre nearby, so it's really nice to have somewhere that we can go to feel all Christmassy!

photo wood4_zps858dbbe1.jpg

Lyle posing beautifully! :heart:

photo wood1_zps2b19e646.jpg

View towards the beach / marshland from the garden centre's car park

photo wood5_zpsb1e0c05e.jpg

Afterwards we went to check out Thwaite Brow wood (not to be confused with Thwaites Brow in West Yorkshire!!)

photo wood6_zpse49ce99a.jpg

It was a beautiful forest, and quite a lot bigger than we were expecting. It's in a perfect location to walk a few of our clients' dogs too, and we can take Kasper on a super long hike there one day too!

photo wood7_zps416611cf.jpg

Looking towards the Crag that we used to live next to

photo wood8_zpsd1c5ea68.jpg

And then on the way back along the canal we stopped off at The Canal Turn for a huge wedge of their amazing cheese and onion pie!

photo wood10_zpsd884b049.jpg

What a great day, and I'm looking forward to doing it with a selection of dogs next time! :smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 27th, 2014 5:25pm (Oct 27th 2014)

Looks like a wonderful day Red; bit early for Christmas though, innit? We haven't even had Guy Fawkes yet!
    • CommentTimeOct 27th, 2014 10:15pm (Oct 27th 2014)

The Vegs are all pumpkins!
    Lovely country pics. I love the carved board there
    A beautiful area. Wish mine was as spectacular but mine does have it's own characteristics though!
    • CommentTimeOct 28th, 2014 1:27am (Oct 28th 2014)

I love the pictures, Red. What a nice place to walk the dogs. I loved the pics of the Christmas shop at the garden center, beautiful decorations! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 28th, 2014 2:28pm (Oct 28th 2014)

Haha CC when we were in the pet shop today they were getting the Christmas stock out!

Ollie I didn't know pumpkins came in such a variety! The big ones in the basket on the left looked as though they were exploding!!

Thanks Lynn, can't wait to take Kasper to the woods! We already bought some new decorations for our tree from the garden centre...I love Christmas, I'd put the tree up now if Lyle would let me! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeOct 28th, 2014 4:29pm (Oct 28th 2014)

You get fancy gourds in those colours too, Red. There were a load at the church I played in on Sunday and they were trying to rehome them following the harvest festival.
    • CommentTimeOct 29th, 2014 1:16pm (Oct 29th 2014)

I'd never heard of gourds either, what are all these vegetables I've never seen or heard of?! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeOct 29th, 2014 3:11pm (Oct 29th 2014)

As far as I can make out a gourd is an inedible sort of pumpkin. The shells are used a lot to make musical instruments or drinking vessels and so on in Africa and south america, I think. Prefer a piano and a pint glass meself!
    • CommentTimeOct 29th, 2014 7:50pm (Oct 29th 2014)

Wow, they sound incredible! I bet Lyle would love to try craft a musical instrument or mug from a gourd!
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd, 2014 12:19am (Nov 2nd 2014)

I can't believe you've never heard of gourds, Red. They aren't much good for eating, but you can make pretty things with them.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd, 2014 7:23pm (Nov 3rd 2014)

Nope, never heard of 'em!
    • CommentTimeNov 4th, 2014 6:37pm (Nov 4th 2014)

You should do art A level, Red; I had to draw loads of 'em!
    • CommentTimeNov 4th, 2014 7:41pm (Nov 4th 2014)

Posted By: chief chickenYou should do art A level, Red; I had to draw loads of 'em!

CC, A level???..is that like taking second "semester basket weaving"?:face-smile: I'm not sure what A levels are.
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2014 3:38pm (Nov 5th 2014)

You do GCSEs (General Certificate of Secondary Education) in mixed assorted subjects at school ( but because I'm Old I took O levels (Ordinary Levels)which were before GCSEs were invented) and then if you want to carry on school rather than leaving and getting a job you pick 3 or 4 subjects you really want to study and do A (Advanced) levels in those. Results of those depend on your admission to university/college.
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2014 7:05pm (Nov 9th 2014)

OK, I understand now, CC.:face-smile: