• CommentTimeOct 29th, 2014 3:20pm (Oct 29th 2014)

What does it means when a hen goes round repeatedly wailing the same noise - an upward long 'note' like a question, 'bwaaaaaaaaaa?' ? Locky was doing it incessantly this morning but seemed fine in herself. When I got home this afternoon all was quiet.
    Also, the two littluns are scrapping a lot - is that usual? Are they establishing a pecking order? Butter seems to be constantly grabbing Fish's head and Fish bows in a submissive way. Still not sure if they're both hens or not...
    • CommentTimeOct 29th, 2014 7:53pm (Oct 29th 2014) edited

Hmm, I have no idea! I'd say any way you could catch a video of it, but seeing as she's already stopped! Were the other chickens paying any attention to her?

As for your little ones (how old are they now??) I'm guessing that it's probably pecking order related, but that at least one is a boy. When we had chicks it was always the boys that started the squaring up to each other, although the girls would sometimes join in and do a bit of head bobbing too!

Don't take my word for it though, I've only hatched two batches of chicks before! :smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2014 3:57pm (Oct 30th 2014)

No, the others were ignoring her. Perhaps they were embarrassed! :D I wondered if she is top dog and was trying to crow - I've heard of that before.
    I keep looking at the littluns trying to determine if one has more comb than the other, but they look about the same to me. I'm such an ignorant chicken owner!
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2014 5:49pm (Oct 30th 2014)

Posted By: chief chickenNo, the others were ignoring her. Perhaps they were embarrassed! :D

:rolling:

Oh yeah, I heard Tilly crow once. It was right in my ear, I was cleaning out the hen house and she was on a perch. Such an awful noise, bless her! :rolling:

What breed did you say the chicks were or are they mysteries?
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2014 7:31pm (Oct 30th 2014)

Butter is a yellow frizzle pekin, and Fish is a smooth grey pekin. Both banties.
    Do you think it might have been Locky's take on crowing then? It was the only thing I could think of. Allie next door tested me and asked if she was laying a square egg...
    • CommentTimeOct 31st, 2014 12:08pm (Oct 31st 2014)

Square eggs!! :tooth:

Pekin's are in my top five list of chickens that I want to keep, I'm jealous! ;)

I guess it could have been :confused1: Did she look like she was crowing, did she stretch her body tall?
    • CommentTimeOct 31st, 2014 6:01pm (Oct 31st 2014)

Not particularly, no. She did it again this morning.:confused1:
    • CommentTimeNov 1st, 2014 12:54pm (Nov 1st 2014)

?! :blink::confused1:
    • CommentTimeNov 1st, 2014 4:40pm (Nov 1st 2014)

She's doing it to annoy!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd, 2014 12:45am (Nov 2nd 2014)

CC, it sounds like one or both of your baby chicks are boys. I've only had that kind of fighting when I had boys..my little girls don't do that very often at all, but it could depend on the type of breed of chicken they are too. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd, 2014 2:39pm (Nov 2nd 2014)

I THINK I heard a small chicken crow this morning. Either that or an elf clearing its throat...
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd, 2014 5:42pm (Nov 2nd 2014)

Oh No! CC, does this mean that you will have to get rid of them if they are boys??
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd, 2014 5:29pm (Nov 3rd 2014)

No, not if they rub along together all right. Can't have fighting, but crowing doesn't worry me. My friend knows more about chickens than I do and had a look, but she can't tell if one (or both!!) is a cockerel.
    • CommentTimeNov 4th, 2014 6:21pm (Nov 4th 2014)

With banty chickens it's often hard to tell what they are till they either crow or lay an egg. Don was raised on a chicken ranch in California and sometimes he can't tell with my Silkies what they are till they get older.
    • CommentTimeNov 4th, 2014 6:39pm (Nov 4th 2014)

Glad I'm not being dim then! How's he doing, Lynn, is he recovered?
    • CommentTimeNov 4th, 2014 8:13pm (Nov 4th 2014)

He's as recovered as much as he will ever be..it's left him a lot weaker in general than he use to be. How is LSE doing now? I hope he's recovering.
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2014 3:40pm (Nov 5th 2014)

Still too skinny. But his new teeth are being made and then I hope he can start to eat more normally.
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2014 4:13pm (Nov 9th 2014)

It's official...Fish is crowing!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2014 7:31pm (Nov 9th 2014)

How about the other one, CC...or is Fish so dominant that the other one is scared to crow? :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2014 8:37pm (Nov 9th 2014)

Not sure. He seems to have more wattle beneath his beak than Butter. And they were squaring up to eachother again today. Dunno!
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2014 10:52pm (Nov 9th 2014)

Does it sound like a proper crow or like a cat being strangled? :rolling:
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2014 7:20am (Nov 10th 2014)

CC, for several months I kept my boys (Silkies) together in one pen and only one of them ever crowed, once they had pens of their own, they all started crowing..my neighbors just love me. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2014 6:03pm (Nov 10th 2014) edited

Posted By: LynnWCC, for several months I kept my boys (Silkies) together in one pen and only one of them ever crowed, once they had pens of their own, they all started crowing..my neighbors just love me.

Haha! Oh man, when we had Midget he started crowing at about 4am every day, and I had to bolt out of bed and grab treats to shut him up...yeah, he had me trained good and proper! :lol:

One time my Nana came over and helped me wrap a dark sheet around the hutch late at night, so Midget wouldn't realise when it had got light outside. Of course he didn't crow, but I was awake at 4am anyway worrying I'd suffocated him!!! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2014 6:53pm (Nov 10th 2014)

Posted By: RedDoes it sound like a proper crow or like a cat being strangled?

Nope, like an elf clearing its throat. Remember Ann on Little Britain? Like her...:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 24th, 2014 4:17pm (Nov 24th 2014)

Forgot to say...Locky spent a night as a rabbit! It was getting dark so I locked up the henhouse and then shooed the rabbits into their hutch and locked up. Next morning I opened the rabbit hutch...and a very cross chicken shot out. That gave her something to wail about...she'd been in there Having An Egg when I locked up the night before. I now lock up then go round the back of the henhouse and peer in the back door to do a head count!
    • CommentTimeNov 24th, 2014 8:41pm (Nov 24th 2014)

That made me laugh out loud!!! Maybe Locky should be renamed Thumper or Bunny!
    • CommentTimeNov 25th, 2014 4:01pm (Nov 25th 2014)

If she'd Thumped I would have looked and let her out!
    • CommentTimeNov 25th, 2014 4:31pm (Nov 25th 2014)

Ahahaha I wonder what the rabbits thought?! :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeNov 25th, 2014 8:15pm (Nov 25th 2014)

Probably thought their mom had bought them a nice new feather duvet!
    • CommentTimeNov 26th, 2014 3:05pm (Nov 26th 2014)

I think they all piled into the sleeping bit together. So it would have been like a feather duvet, yes! And she had 2 fur throws (only not as intelligent!).
    • CommentTimeNov 26th, 2014 7:44pm (Nov 26th 2014)

Oh, poor abused little Locky..:face-smile: Maybe they were making plans for Easter egg deliveries, CC.
    • CommentTimeNov 27th, 2014 5:05pm (Nov 27th 2014)

Could be - I never thought of that! :rolling: