• CommentTimeNov 15th, 2014 6:31pm (Nov 15th 2014)

Thought I'd create a place to chart my progress with training Zoey to wearing a coat. Let me start by saying Zoey is VERY sensitive to having things put on her...I did manage to counter condition her to having her harness put on when she was a puppy, after LOTS of training, but then one time I accidentally rushed her and ever since she has been as terrified as she originally was.

Harness time is horrible for her, and she's very sensitive to things touching her body and restricting her movement. This is a dog that completely shut down when a collar was put on her as a puppy.

So, my plan is thus:

Start with holding the coat and click / treating her for looking at it and being calm
    Progress to c/t her for touching and sniffing the coat
    Ask her to touch the coat; c/t
    Move the coat towards her and c/t
    Touch her side with the coat and c/t, repeat a lot!
    Hold coat to her for a few seconds and c/t : repeat!
    Slide coat along her back; c/t
    Ask Lyle for help and try lay the coat along her back with all straps open whilst she is continuously being fed treats
    Leave coat on her for longer and longer periods of time
    Same as above but feed treats less frequently
    Try to fasten straps

Here's a basic plan of what I aim to do. If at any point Zoey is struggling or becomes fearful, I'll go back a step or two until she is comfortable again.

I have no idea how long this will take, or how many repetitions of each step I'll need to do. If I work hard at it I think it could take 3-4 weeks...we'll see :smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 15th, 2014 6:41pm (Nov 15th 2014)

Ah, we have a problem I did not foresee - the attempt to bite and rag the coat! :tooth:

Well, I guess it beats being fearful...

We got to step 1) and 4), missed out 2) and 3) :smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2014 2:17pm (Nov 16th 2014)

Keep going, I'm sure you'll sort it with her. She's such a clever thing she'll soon get the hang of it.
    • CommentTimeNov 16th, 2014 6:47pm (Nov 16th 2014)

Yes, she'll get there eventually - thanks for the vote of confidence :smile:

I was just, for some reason, expecting her to automatically know it was a coat and be scared of it...but stupid on my part! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2014 8:25pm (Nov 20th 2014) edited

*yawn* Haven't had time to do any more coat training with Zoey yet, a friend has moved in a few streets away from us so we've been really busy and are absolutely shattered...
    • CommentTimeDec 4th, 2014 7:11pm (Dec 4th 2014)

Oh jeez I still haven't worked on this anymore, Zoey's never gonna be wearing a coat at this rate... :rolling:
    • CommentTimeDec 5th, 2014 5:08pm (Dec 5th 2014)

She's going to be a cold pup then...:weather_snowing:
    • CommentTimeDec 6th, 2014 6:28am (Dec 6th 2014)

It only took me 10 years to get my Jack Russell to wear her coat..so you're miles ahead of me, with training Zoey. I just got my kid to wear her coat last week, when it was really cold outside.
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2014 2:41pm (Dec 7th 2014)

I wish dogs understood we only do things they hate that are good for them :001_rolleyes: Thankfully in the UK it doesn't get cold enough for Zoey to need to wear a coat, but I really want her to be able to wear one, especially as she ages...
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2014 2:45am (Dec 9th 2014)

I think Snizzy finally liked the coat because she's 10yrs. old now and needs it.
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2014 7:46pm (Dec 10th 2014)

Yeah see I want to prepare for when Zoey is old, because she's gonna need a coat at some point...