• CommentAuthorchooksnpinkroses
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2014 12:41am (Dec 30th 2014)

Every now and then we get a broody. I can usually de-brood them with 3 or 4, (5 at the most) days in our 'de brooding' cage (DBC). I wait till she hasn't laid an egg for 2 days and only wants to sit in the LB (laying box), fluffs up her feathers and shreeks at me when I open the door to see what she's up to. So I know she's fully broody. I put her in the DBC that evening and give her wheat and water. The cage is mesh all around, with a roof, so the air and cool breezes can get to her underside to cool her off. I let her out every afternoon for a run around, dustbath or what ever. usually she just wants to go straight back to her favourite LB, so I shut the door to the hen house (HH), to encourage her to eat etc.
    Usually by the 3rd day she's happy to run around and not interested in going back to the LB. I put her in the DBC for one last night and in the morning she is well and truly de brooded.

This time I have a hen (Ebony) who just will not de-brood. Can't understand it. She is up to the 18th day in the DBC and still only wants to go back to the LB all the time.
    Anyone got any ideas about why this might be? It is summer here, but it hasn't really been that hot yet. I've also been spraying her underside with water a couple of times a day to try to help things along. At the rate she's going she'll be in the DBC for the full 3 weeks that she would have sat on eggs!:face-plain:
    This is the 2nd time in 9 years of keeping chooks that this has happened. Thanks for any advice.
    • CommentAuthorchooksnpinkroses
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2014 4:14am (Dec 30th 2014)

Update on Ebony. She has been happily running around the yard eating, drinking, scratching about and dustbathing etc for about 3 hours or so. Hasn't attempted to go into any of the 3 open hen houses. Her fave hen house is closed so she can't get in if she tries, luckily none of the others like to lay in that one at present. Hopefully she is finally de-brooded. Will put her in the DBC again tonight just to make sure. :face-smile: 18 day's! That's determination!
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2014 12:03pm (Dec 30th 2014)

Whenever one of ours would go broody we would turf them off the nest repeatedly and, if they were really determined, we'd close the door to the laying box.

Tilly was obsessed with hatching eggs once, and was broody for almost six weeks!!!
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2014 5:50pm (Dec 30th 2014)

Alternatively, let her hatch a fertilised egg. Or let her sit on an unfertilised one till she gets bored!
    • CommentAuthorchooksnpinkroses
    • CommentTimeDec 31st, 2014 1:36am (Dec 31st 2014)

Ebony has been happily running around eating and dust-bathing with the others today. She only went into her fave LB once, I turfed her out and closed the door. She's happy running around again. She's mostly de-brooded, but still a little bit broody. Still curious about why I have been unable to de-brood her when every other time it only takes a few days. I will put her into the DBC again tonight.

Don't have any fertile eggs for her to sit on. Don't really want to encourage her to sit on fake eggs. Just wondered if anyone had any idea why the de-drooding cage works most of the time but not these 2 times. As far as I know, everything is the same.:face-plain:
    • CommentTimeJan 1st, 2015 7:53pm (Jan 1st 2015)

I'd be too soft-hearted to de-brood a chicken - I can imagine the 'hurt' look she must give you!