• CommentTimeFeb 12th, 2015 10:36am (Feb 12th 2015) edited

We bought a sofa from Laura Ashley which was very expensive, but we thought it would be good quality and it was only going to be used occasionally, so went ahead with the purchase.

Shortly after we noticed that the seat material had become ridged and looked unsightly, so we sent the following email to Laura Ashley:

Dear sir or madam,

I am writing to complain about a Colinton two seater sofa that was delivered to me on 27th May 2014.

The sofa is located in a room which is only occasionally used. Even so, the seat cover has ridges in the material which are unsightly and appeared shortly after first using it.

The foam pad is fixed so we are unable to do anything to rectify the problem.

We have two other sofas in the house which also have foam pads and despite being in regular use they do not show any signs of ridges in the material.

I purchased my sofa from the Laura Ashley store in Shipley, Bradford. At no point did the member of staff who served me advise me that this problem was likely to occur. Had she done so I would not have purchased the sofa.

I have attached some photographs illustrating the problem. Please could you forward these to your quality control department and get back to me as soon as possible.

Regards

Neil

After nearly two weeks we received the following reply:

Gwyn Ashton to neil@hencam.co.uk
    10:26
    Dear Mr Williams,

Thank you for your mail, and the photos contained within. I have inspected the images and can find no fault with the sofa. I understand the nature of your complaint is the gathering of the fabric within the middle of the seating pad, however it is completely natural for any fabric to settle and stretch to varying extents. This is characteristic of any fabric, beyond our own ranges and would not constitute a fault, or be considered a sign of poor durability.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment caused, however Laura Ashley accepts no fault with this item, and as such can offer no further resolution.

Kind regards
    Gwyn Ashton
    Customer Services
    Laura Ashley

>>> "neil@hencam.co.uk" 31/01/2015 22:57 >>>

DISCLAIMER

Authority limits apply to all employees and those of affiliates. Offers or acceptances for the purchase of goods or services are subject to the current Conditions of Purchase (available on request).

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information that may be confidential and/or copyright. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you must not use, reproduce, disclose, copy, print or rely on this email in any form or manner. If you received this message in error please notify us by reply email and delete all copies on your system.

Although all emails are scanned for viruses, no representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses.

As you are aware, Internet communications are not secure and therefore Laura Ashley does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Laura Ashley unless otherwise specifically stated or confirmed in writing.

Laura Ashley Limited is registered in England, registered number 531301. Registered Office: 27 Bagleys Lane, Fulham, London, SW6 2QA.
    This message has been checked for all known viruses by the Star Screening System

So there you go, if you buy a sofa from Laura Ashley and it develops unsightly ridges in the material then customer services don't give a stuff. Avoid!
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th, 2015 7:37pm (Feb 12th 2015)

They don't make things to last anymore, Red..they want them to fall apart, so you would have to keep buying new ones. It's called "built in obsolescence".
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th, 2015 10:20pm (Feb 12th 2015)

Have you raised it with trading standards Neil? I would say it isn't fit for purpose that a sofa that is 8 months old looks like you've had it much longer. Surely a material that can't hold it's form shouldn't be used on furniture! Their response is disgraceful too.
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th, 2015 1:55pm (Feb 13th 2015)

My reply to their email:

neil@hencam.co.uk to gwyn.ashton

Hi Gwyn,

Wow... That's pretty unhelpful.

Several people who've seen the sofa have been disgusted at how it looks after hardly any use, so hopefully I've helped dissuade those people from choosing a Laura Ashley sofa and therefore saved them some expense, upset and frustration.

I've posted my complaint on http://www.hencam.co.uk/hencam_forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=946&page=1 where it may hopefully warn others.

I now see there are dozens of pages warning about the poor quality of your sofas... And your terrible customer service. If only I'd seen these earlier.

I will avoid buying anything from you in future, and will advise others to do the same.

Regards

Neil
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th, 2015 2:00pm (Feb 13th 2015)

I am a strong believer that you should support those stores that deserve it.

Similarly, you should avoid those that offer poor quality products and even worse, offer terrible customer service on top of that. Laura Ashley offer poor quality products that even their customer services do not stand behind: "they are supposed to look like that" - terrible!

says it all.
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th, 2015 6:04pm (Feb 13th 2015)

I think it involves your Statutory Rights, Neil. They can't wriggle out of it. Contact Trading Standards. And Kate is right; it's not fit for purpose.
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th, 2015 10:49pm (Feb 13th 2015)

Wow, those reviews are awful! I would never go to Laura Ashley to buy anything now and will warn my friends too. And these shops wonder why they lose trade and go out of business.
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th, 2015 6:41pm (Feb 15th 2015)

Wow, worst customer service ever...?
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2015 9:10pm (Feb 16th 2015)

I'm glad I never bought anything Laura Ashley around here. They do sell bedding and clothing by her, but not furniture..I have never bought her brand..and now I never will, since her quality and customer service is so horrible.
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2015 8:47pm (Feb 18th 2015)

Neil, there is a furniture ombudsman who could probably help you - look it up and give it a go.
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th, 2015 3:14pm (Feb 20th 2015)

Hi CC, that's interesting, as Laura Ashley (Laura Ghastly?) are full members. I've printed the forms out so I'll see what kind of stink I can kick up as a thank-you for their last dismissive and completely unhelpful email...
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th, 2015 6:02pm (Feb 20th 2015)

You go, boy!:yay_jump::crazy::cheer::cheerleader::clap::thumbup1::thumbup::swingin:
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th, 2015 8:43pm (Feb 20th 2015)

Keep us informed!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st, 2015 6:35am (Feb 21st 2015)

Go for it Neil, Give'em Hell!:cheerleader::clap:
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2015 3:31pm (Mar 4th 2015)

Today I received an email from someone who had also received poor customer service from Laura Ashley, this time a cardigan that was ruined after only being worn 3 times!

Hi Neil,
    I happened to see your letter of complaint which you recently sent to Laura Ashley re your Sofa.

I too have spent a lot of money in LA in the past, but obviously they just don't want to know if their quality is in question. I am livid myself, because (I know I cannot compare the cost of your purchase with mine) but I recently bought a Lambswool Cardigan from my local branch. To put it mildly, after about 3/4 wears the whole garment looked disgusting, to be honest the quality looked so poor, I wouldn't even wear it around the house. I had my receipt and talked to the Manager, this was several weeks ago. He eventually decided to send it back to Customer Services,that proved to be a joke, I was told that there was nothing that could be done, and I would have to accept the garment as it was. To me this has become a matter of"principle", the cost of the Cardigan has become of little importance.

I made a list of everything I had purchased from LA, this being a good couple of thousand pounds, just to prove what a good customer I have been in the past. Sadly I concluded that Laura Ashley are only interested in taking your money, they have no interest in customer complaints.

Incidentally, I thought your pics of your Sofa which you have on the Internet shows that LA clearly sold you a load of trouble.You were treated disgustingly, and your sofa clearly has a fault!

by the way, just had a phone call from the local Manager of LA, informing me that I could visit the shop in order to collect my Cardigan which has caused all the debate. It will go into the Dustbin I fear. One thing I do know, that will be the very last time I purchase anything from that company. I feel sorry to have read of your experience.

What amused me, was the manner that the Customer Services signed his letter to you, not at all professional.

I see on Google that the Cardiff branch of LA are having to close, that speaks volumes.

Good Wishes, D**** *****, *********** ********, Wales.

Sent from my iPad

Just about says it all doesn't it? I've made my mind up now and will be filling in the Ombudsman complaint forms tonight. I will update when I have more news!
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2015 7:19pm (Mar 4th 2015)

I'm glad to hear at least one of their branches in Cardiff are having to close. Here is hoping that more will have to close..I do feel sorry for their employees having to lose their jobs...but I'm sure they don't treat them any better than they treat the general pubic.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2015 11:17pm (Mar 4th 2015)

When the company fail completely and are closed down the press will bemoan another big company going into receivership, and the customers that are waiting for items will be the ones to lose out. They are a disgrace - look forward to hearing the ombudsman's comments.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2015 3:40pm (Mar 10th 2015)

Have you looked into the furniture ombudsman, Dave? Sometimes letting the company know you're starting proceedings with the FO can bring about a remarkable change of mind...
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2015 5:24pm (Apr 17th 2015)

I sent off all the forms - which was quite a complicated process, writing the full story up, including dates, times, receipts, pictures, etc etc, the other week and haven't heard anything back yet.

Hopefully they're given Laura Ashley a good talking to...
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2015 9:09pm (Apr 17th 2015)

I hope she feels shame!:slap:
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2015 3:52pm (Apr 19th 2015)

She's deaded...fell down some stairs a few years back.
    • CommentTimeApr 20th, 2015 7:18pm (Apr 20th 2015)

Oops!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2015 5:35pm (Apr 21st 2015)

Started off as a Welsh textile company, now controlled by Malaysian group... hmmm.

Got a message from the furniture ombudsman that they are looking into it for us.
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2015 5:35pm (Apr 21st 2015)

Posted By: chief chickenShe's deaded...fell down some stairs a few years back.

I hope she didn't trip over some poor quality Laura Ashley tat...
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2015 7:45pm (Apr 22nd 2015)

:shocked: :wink:
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2015 6:37pm (Apr 27th 2015)

Posted By: neilI hope she didn't trip over some poor quality Laura Ashley tat...

Waaaaaaaaaaaahaha :rollonfloorlaughing:
    • CommentTimeOct 27th, 2015 5:34pm (Oct 27th 2015)

Any news on this, Neil? Six months is a long time to be looking into the matter...
    • CommentTimeOct 29th, 2015 5:12pm (Oct 29th 2015)

Ooh, a few months ago the guy came out to look at the sofa and said by it's design that what's would happen, and that it wasn't an intrinsic fault but more a design flaw that would inevitably end up with a crap looking sofa (thanks Laura Ashley!).

So although he agreed it was rubbish, it wasn't actually faulty - we accepted that and made him take note we still weren't happy with the sofa for his report and I think that's pretty much it.

I think we were supposed to get a copy of the report but I haven't seen anything yet - everything has been pretty glacial.
    • CommentTimeNov 4th, 2015 7:09pm (Nov 4th 2015)

Well so much for EVER buying anything with Laura Ashley's name on it for me then!:046: