• CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2015 1:02pm (Feb 16th 2015)

Ivy died yesterday, so we have no chickens anymore. :-(

Our first chickens seemed a lot hardier - although they were a 'commercial' breed so pumped full of anti-biotics and chemicals as a chick, which helped them be as resistant to pest and disease as possible.

Unfortunately our later chickens didn't prove as hardy - it's been horrible losing them slowly over a couple of years, and now we're not sure if we want to go through it again.

If we do, we will have to replace the coop - it's lasted an amazing length of time, but it's showing it's age now and bits of it are rotting, the door hinges are snapped, it's becoming more susceptible to red-mite infestations etc. I'm thinking of replacing it with a plastic coop, or at least one that is easier to clean and look after (and red-mite resistant).

Not really sure what to do in the meantime - I'll try and get the outdoor cam working so at least there's something on.

Sorry guys. :-(
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2015 3:37pm (Feb 16th 2015)

So sorry about Ivy, Neil...but it can't be Hencam with no Hens! What about rescuing some ex-batts, who would have had all the innoculations and things? Let us know if you're fund raising. :heart:
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2015 4:02pm (Feb 16th 2015)

We've been browsing coops together and my dad's found some really cool ones. I think he's planning on possibly buying a new coop, digging out the old dirt in the run, sanitising the ground, adding compost and then getting new girls.

Ex-bats are a toughy, as although it's very rewarding to rescue them, they don't tend to live very long as their bodies and immune systems have been weakened. Since the last three girls haven't been as hardy I think my dad wants to go through a good breeder, which aren't easy to find! He's found a reliable one fairly close to where I live, but they only have hens around Easter...
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2015 4:31pm (Feb 16th 2015)

So sorry to lose Ivy.
    She'll be growing the finest set of feathers they've ever seen at The Rainbow Bridge!

A celebratory pyre is called for. Help to clear the area of those nasty mites too.

I love all the planning, very exciting.
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2015 8:56pm (Feb 16th 2015)

I'm heartbroken at the loss of Ivy. I knew she wasn't feeling well, but I didn't think we'd loose her. I hope you won't give up on chickens and hencam, Neil...if you start a fund raiser just let me know, I'd be happy to help too.
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2015 10:24pm (Feb 16th 2015)

I'm so sorry about Ivy. I feel bad that I didn't really get to 'know' the new hens as I couldn't watch hencam on my ipad for a long time, and then when I sorted it out it was a phaff to do. However it was comforting to know they were there if ever I did want to see them.

Ditto on the fundraising - all you have to do is let us know. xx
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2015 2:17am (Mar 12th 2015)

How are the plans going for new hens, Neil? Are you still looking for new coops?
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2015 11:08am (Apr 17th 2015) edited

Bit of a nightmare... :(

I should really update hencam more often, apologies, but things have been hectic so I'll try and explain a little.

A couple of years ago work became a bit horrible due to my (very nice) boss leaving as the office politics were becoming ridiculous (the owner employed a starbucks server on a whim to run the programming team for the entire company!), which left me in a terrible working environment having to deal with the new regime.

Anyway, long story short my ex-boss contacted me with an offer of a job at his new company - yay! I've been there just over a year now and it's head and shoulders better than the last one, so that's good. It involves travelling once a week to Pontefract (about 40 miles away) but it's not too bad considering.

We were hoping to replace the old coop (it's rotting in several places and the nest box leaks, and it has red-mite on and off due to the old-style roofing used). I found some easy-clean alternatives but as we were about to buy circumstances plotted against us. We just can't afford it at the moment :(

The main reason is we're having some major building work carried out - the front room, stairs and landing were in desperate need of stripping and re-plastering, the ceilings need ripping out, wooden cladding taking out, and our condemned wood-burning stove needs sorting for winter, etc etc.

On top of this, a few months ago some coward hit my car whilst it was parked outside my house but didn't leave a note - the scraped and dented every panel down the side of the car - the repairers said it looked like it was either a large lorry or a drunk-driver. As nobody admitted responsibility, I had to pay for the repairs myself. I am in the process of fitting CCTV outside my house (hencam has given me a bit of experience on this subject at least!) so if it happens again I'll have evidence.

And a couple of weeks ago somebody changed lane into my car (the same side I'd just had repaired) - damaging the rear wheel arch. Although the other party was very apologetic at the time, they haven't reported it to their insurer as of now so I've had to pay for the repairs AGAIN. My insurance will go up through no fault of my own. :(

On the plus side, we found a lovely original York stone floor when the carpets were ripped up so we're going to have it restored...

• CommentTimeApr 17th, 2015 2:52pm (Apr 17th 2015)

Wow, what a beautiful floor! It'll look gorgeous with a nice rug... I wonder if anyone dropped a few sovereigns between the cracks to help pay for the car?Were you hurt in the changing lanes thing? Was it on the motorway? Frightening... What gits people are; they don't think about the other person when they hit cars, do they? Eric's car was written off by a lorry driving gibbon working for Berkeley Homes when they were building Dead Badger Close. Nobody wanted to know and the police got nowhere. My car was scraped in a hospital carpark...no note left, of course. Amazing how many people have these tales to tell.:face-sad:
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2015 5:13pm (Apr 17th 2015)

Thanks CC, hopefully they'll clean up really nicely, then we're going to get some natural slate for the fireplace hearth. I've spent aaaages planning and sorting all the wires so that everything is hidden - there was a phone wire going across the floor (under the carpet) before, a TV aerial cable coming in, BT wires, our broadband router etc etc which is all now hidden completely - it's going to look fab!

It just seems weird that people can be so... dishonest. I stupidly reversed into my mum's neighbours car years ago, I went straight round and apologised, then contacted my insurance company and said I was entirely to blame.

What gets me is the idiots who apologise while you are there, then change their story to their insurance company, they aren't saving themselves any money - it just means it goes to a 'knock for knock' split claim so we *both* pay instead of just them - but in their tiny mind it means they are 'getting off' somehow.

It was on a 50mph slip road whilst I was driving home one Friday - which was annoying too because it ruined my weekend, and at the moment we're both working all hours so the weekend is the only 'free' time we have to spend together - argh!

I have a dashcam now that starts recording when the car is knocked - hopefully it would be in time to catch whatever has hit it, it's better than nothing (I hope).

At my last work, the car park was on a slope, and it was split so that a row of cars parked at the top and a row at the bottom. Someone's handbrake failed and their car rolled quite hard into someone's who I work with, damaging it quite badly. They were very apologetic, but when they contacted their insurer they claimed my colleague HAD REVERSED INTO THEM! She wasn't even in the car at the time, and this was someone that she worked with?! I tell you, scum.

It was heart-warming on Wednesday, I was in work at Pontefract and one of the girls came in and said "I've just scraped someone's car on the road trying to park - I've just come in to get some paper so I can leave my details", and she did... Nice to know decent people still exist.
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2015 8:55pm (Apr 17th 2015)

That floor is fantastic - what a great find! You deserve to find that after all the car problems. I had someone go into the back of me on the motorway - traffic was crawling and I was in the slow-moving congestion lane. As I passed a car I saw him put his indicator on to pull into my lane behind me. He looked in his mirror to check what the car behind was doing, traffic stopped suddenly in front of me, and he didn't manage to. He was only in his early 20s but was really apologetic. I went to the garage on the way home and got them to check it over. There was a small 'starburst' mark in the paint on the bumper and a small scratch, but nothing more. I phoned him up and told him I wasn't going to make a claim - it wasn't worth it. It was hardly noticable and I didn't want to be without the car for weeks while it was painted. He was so grateful and I felt really good for giving him that relief.

Saying all that, people are generally despicable. I've got so many dinks and scratches in mine from the work car park it's ridiculous. One old lady went into the back of me and gave me a fake phone number! Luckily I got her reg and the insurance tracked her down.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2015 5:15pm (Apr 18th 2015)

...and she said 'Ooops, I must have got it wrong....' :_oh_really:
    • CommentTimeApr 20th, 2015 7:10pm (Apr 20th 2015)

I like to think it was because she was old, but as she denied driving into the back of me (I had to make her get out of the car to see the damage) maybe she was just an evil old woman!!!