• CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2015 9:05pm (May 23rd 2015) edited

We went to a small zoo today that is just 5 miles from our house. It's crazy close! It was awesome, after we'd been round we bought season tickets it was so good :bigsmile:

The animals all had really cool enclosures, seemed very happy and content and it was just an all-round good place. So good in fact that Lyle has asked my parents if we can all go again on Monday!!

(there are so many photos...I've cut down from like 60! :tooth: )

In the first room there were lots of different bugs, crabs, birds, tortoises, reptiles and amphibians. The birds were flying free and there were numerous bats dangling from the ceiling!

photo zoo19_zpseocjlzei.jpg

This was the harvest mice enclosure. It was probably 5 foot tall, 2 foot wide? It was humongous for harvest mice!

photo zoo22_zpsmxlsvgnu.jpg

The rat enclosure was one of the coolest I've ever seen. Although it wasn't as impressive spatially (I counted five in there) they were all very lazy adult males :smile:

photo zoo24_zpsvwhdpyfw.jpg

photo zoo23_zpsscoakli0.jpg

At the meet and greet :smile:

photo zoo26_zpsz6lhwwex.jpg

Lyle with a bluey

photo zoo28_zpsxs3oca6s.jpg

Royal / Ball Python we got to hold

photo zoo29_zpshmbnevji.jpg

more to come.....
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2015 9:09pm (May 23rd 2015) edited

Can you spot the ducklings?!

photo zoo33_zpsxbignddq.jpg

Meerkat spotting!

photo zoo38_zps05pjffx3.jpg

The snow leopards which had not one but THREE enclosures connected so they had loads of room

photo zoo40_zpsg80cgaym.jpg

In the walkway behind them

photo zoo41_zps1fjpzcwe.jpg

Tunnel connecting two monkey enclosures

photo zoo50_zpswlrkzgpv.jpg

Gigantic crane

photo zoo52_zpscgmezole.jpg

The lemurs were awesome!!! They were so used to people and just strolled past you. The babies were utterly adorable, so so small and cute! Also hilarious to watch and just full of boundless energy and totally mischievous.

photo zoo57_zpsv4jknjyd.jpg

photo zoo59_zps1gnupicu.jpg

"Omg too many babies!!"

photo zoo62_zpskxz9shux.jpg

Such little cuties :smile:

photo zoo60_zps2tgghrlx.jpg

I really liked him / her :tooth:

photo zoo64_zpsjhurug2t.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2015 9:10pm (May 23rd 2015)

I have a video of some of the animals which I will try post tomorrow too :)
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2015 10:49pm (May 23rd 2015)

Wow, it looks like a great zoo! The snow leopards are beautiful, and the rodent enclosures are really inventive! How refreshing to see somewhere so different.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2015 3:04am (May 25th 2015)

It was really, really good. I thought the rat habitat was such a cool idea, and the rats will love all the climbing and hidey places! Can't wait to go again tomorrow :tooth:
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2015 12:47pm (May 25th 2015)

Post me the bat and a few ducklings. And the rat enclosure looks a bit like some corners of my house. MOST corners of my house...
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2015 8:43pm (May 25th 2015)

Are there five lazy male rats living there too CC?! :rolling:

My dad really liked the Golden Pheasants, and has set me onto researching their requirements - watch this space ;)

Dad in the meerkat bubble

photo family14_zpsayit1mc2.jpg

His reaction when a girl appeared next to him HAHAHHA :rofl:

photo family15_zpsjgxildby.jpg

Can you see the baby lemur hanging to the adults' belly?

photo family20_zpsaj4hastd.jpg