• CommentTimeJun 15th, 2015 9:16pm (Jun 15th 2015) edited

We bought a dinosaur-shaped Nylabone off the internet, and as you couldn't ask for the dinosaur you wanted, it was a lucky dip. There are three designs, a stegosaurus, a T-rex and a brachiosaurus.

We really didn't care which one we got...as long as it wasn't the brachiosaurus! When compared to the other two (especially the stegosaurus) this one was very *very* thin in places.

Guess which one we got? :sarcastic:

photo nylasaur5_zpsbyy7q5py.jpg

The packaging states that this Nylabone is for dogs "up to 23kg". Zoey is a 11kg, and I'm pretty sure we're going to have to throw it away much faster than any of our other Nylabones, because the neck / tail area will have become thin enough to snap and be a danger.

Here it is compared to the larger Nylabone

photo nylasaur4_zps7hsprio9.jpg

I'm charting how long Zoey chews it per day, and will take frequent photos. She won't be left with it unsupervised, and Kasper will not be allowed to chew it. If it breaks really quickly, I'll send this thread to Nylabone.

Normally any Nylabone (or similar chew toys) last us months and months and months. The DuraChew actually lasted us several years, with two dogs, and it's not particularly big. We are huge Nylabone fans, and when I found one shaped as a dinosaur I thought it was awesome! We will see how this goes...maybe it will surprise us!

So far Zoey has chewed it for 53 minutes, and it is already showing quite a bit of wear:

photo nylasaur8_zpsvo2gohn6.jpg

Which is a shame, as it's by far her favourite Nylabone! :smile:

photo nylasaur6_zpspvuel6z8.jpg
      nylasaur1.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2015 5:01pm (Jun 16th 2015)

Ah, but think of the huge box of nylabones you'll get when you send the dinosaur bits back...:D
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2015 2:12pm (Jun 17th 2015)

Haha, that's if they listen! We've never had a disappointing Nylabone before, I've always really rated their products.
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2015 7:07am (Jun 19th 2015)

She's making short work of the Nylabone. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2015 2:59pm (Jun 19th 2015)

What's the news Red - are dinosaurs extinct yet?
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2015 5:03pm (Jun 19th 2015)

She hasn't chewed it again since CC! I've been poorly a few times, and we've been busy out a lot, so when we get home we have to let both dogs free at the same time. She can only have the dino chew when Kasper's in his crate, otherwise he resource guards anything from her.
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2015 1:39am (Jul 9th 2015)

We rediscovered the dinosaur!

She's chewed it a while today, I'll try remember to get a photo of it tomorrow and the total time she has chewed it for. It's holding up better than I thought it would, to be fair. Not great, but she's not destroyed it yet!
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2015 5:05pm (Jul 9th 2015)

We'll wait until you post Durable Dental Dinosaur Destroyed and Deaded!
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2015 2:39pm (Jul 11th 2015)

Dino took another 30 mins of abuse today...parts of it are looking pretty thin now!
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2015 8:23pm (Jul 24th 2015) edited

Well, it happened.

Today Zoey broke a huge chunk off the dinosaur Nylabone (just over an inch long). Big enough that, if she had swallowed it and not dropped it when asked, it could have caused a blockage. The chunk came from the tail, as she had worn it down enough that it just snapped.

Total time chewing the Nylabone from unwrapping to extinction: 1 hour 39 minutes

This is absolutely disgusting. This is a toy marketed at Medium sized dogs (23kg), yet a small 11kg dog destroyed it in just over an hour and a half. I have never had a Nylabone chew that didn't last at least four months, with daily chewing. Zoey only chewed this one on three or four occasions.

Would not recommend buying this product and, if you do, NEVER leave your dog alone with it. Supervise them closely and have treats on hand to trade for chunks.

Will post photos soon, and probably contact the company.
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2015 4:44pm (Jul 25th 2015)

Disappointing; Durable Dental Dinosaur Destroyed Dead and Dangerous...:face-sad:
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2015 4:53pm (Jul 25th 2015) edited

Very disappointing indeed...

(ignore the slobber!!)
      dinonyla.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2015 8:22pm (Jul 26th 2015)

I think you should consider contacting the company, and copy it to Trading Standards.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2015 9:30pm (Jul 26th 2015)

Yes, I'm gonna write out an email after tea (pancakes, yay!). I can't imagine they will say much though, but at least through this thread I'm getting word out there. I will post about it on my blog too.
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2015 4:18pm (Aug 10th 2015)

Finally got around to emailing the company...hope I emailed the right place!

"Hello,

We recently bought a 'Nylabone Durable Dental Dinosaur Chew Toy (Dinosaur Varies)' from the internet. The one that arrived was the brachiosaurus, and we were immediately worried about how thin it was in places. Because of our suspicion we decided to record how long our dog chewed it.

It states on the packaging that this Nylabone is suitable for dogs up to 50lbs / 23kg, and despite the fact our dog only weighs 12kg we were concerned it wasn't safe.

Sure enough our dog was able to to snap off a large chunk of the tail, which is one of the thinnest parts. The piece was very large, over an inch long, and certainly big enough to pose a huge issue if swallowed.

She had been chewing the Nylabone for just 1 hour and 39 minutes, in total, when it was destroyed.

We have bought dozens of Nylabones over the years for our dogs, many various types. I've always recommended your Nylabone products and been impressed with them, and they have always lasted months at a time with regular, daily chewing.

The fact that you are selling a product that is marketed at being okay for dogs up to 23kg, yet which lasted less than two hours with an 12kg dog, is pretty disappointing. I'm not even talking about it from a safety point, as I understand toys must be supervised when in use, but I am shocked you would sell something that can be worn down so quickly.

I am also confused as to why two of the dinosaur Nylabones (the brachiosaurus and the T-Rex) are designed to be so thin in places, when the stegosaurus is much thicker and sturdier overall.

Look forward to hearing from you,

[name]"

They should be able to see the photo above too, with the snapped off piece.
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2015 6:15pm (Aug 10th 2015)

That should elicit a response, Red. Let us know, won't you?
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2015 9:20pm (Aug 12th 2015)

I will do :smile: I got an automated response saying they would be back in touch within two working days, but haven't heard anything yet!
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2015 10:11pm (Aug 12th 2015) edited

Oh no, we did get an email from them, I must have missed it. They have forwarded my message to a local representative, so we are waiting to hear from them. They did apologise and say they hoped our dog is okay, which is nice :smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2015 8:16pm (Aug 13th 2015)

Maybe they just didn't realise this could happen. Or maybe bigger dogs don't pay much attention to the thinner tail, preferring the thicker body. Suppose it depends on the test dogs! Look forward to their response.
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2015 8:06pm (Aug 16th 2015)

Heard from the representative and they apologised again and said they had never had anything like this happen before. They are also sending us some goodies, bless them :smile: If Kasper and Zoey could understand I'm sure they'd be VERY excited :tooth:
    • CommentTimeAug 17th, 2015 5:48pm (Aug 17th 2015)

Aha! I thought you'd get some goodies....well done, whoever makes Nylabone!
    • CommentTimeAug 17th, 2015 8:52pm (Aug 17th 2015)

I can't believe they actually listened or cared! I am really impressed, what good eggs they are! :tooth:
    • CommentTimeAug 17th, 2015 11:37pm (Aug 17th 2015)

Well done for raising it with them too. Hopepfully they'll either withdraw it from use or put a big disclaimer on it. Hope you get some nice things!
    • CommentTimeAug 18th, 2015 3:02pm (Aug 18th 2015)

We got our surprises today - omg I am amazed!!

They sent us not one but THREE Nylabones, and they are really awesome gigantic ones too! Could they have arrived at a better time?! :tooth:

photo nyla1_zpsdo8vumw5.jpg

You can put a treat in one of them, which is cool. The treats they sell fall out easily, but we've put a dog sausage in there and it's held up really well - Zoey has been chewing it over five minutes and she still hasn't got it out!

photo nyla5_zpstjzw8hp1.jpg

We were very excited about the Galileo as we've wanted one for ages haha :smile:

photo nyla6_zpsdu3iflby.jpg

and here she is opening her gifts, goofing about and having a chew. She's much happier now. (also, check out the lack of limping!)

Thank you Nylabone, you have excellent customer service and we love our new chews!
    • CommentTimeAug 18th, 2015 5:16pm (Aug 18th 2015)

Didn't poor Kasp get any?:face-crying:
    • CommentTimeAug 18th, 2015 11:16pm (Aug 18th 2015)

That is fantastic! They've got to protect their reputation and the best way is by apologising and compensating when something goes wrong.
    • CommentTimeAug 20th, 2015 4:03pm (Aug 20th 2015)

He wasn't interested CC, he's not as into Nylabones as Zoey, and only chews them when he's bored or in bed!

photo clean2_zpsahc1tt5a.jpg

We were mightily impressed Kate. Zoey has taken to the one that can hold treats, even when it's empty she gnaws on the end. We need all the help we can get keeping her quiet and occupied! :tooth:
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd, 2015 6:48pm (Aug 22nd 2015)

My pups don't seem to care for Nylabones at all, but it's nice to hear that the company was so nice as to send new toys and that they care about their customers.
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd, 2015 7:00pm (Aug 22nd 2015)

I know quite a few people whose dogs don't like chewing Nylabones. Kasper was never that interested in them, but as he got older he chewed them more often...he usually settles for an hour or two to chew them daily now. Zoey has loved them since day one, she used to chew them when they were as big as her :rolling:

I'll try find that photo of her just after we brought her home...okay:

photo pup4_zpsd8691d78.jpg

What do your pups chew Lynn (if they enjoy chewing)? Have you tried antlers, and if so what did they think of them? Always looking for new chew ideas! :smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2015 6:15pm (Sep 2nd 2015)

Both of my pups love to chew on Nylabones. Chloe is into stealing Frodo's big Nylabones..she has grown a bit, but still looks silly dragging his toys around.
      LW_Chloe-9-1-15.jpg
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2015 12:55pm (Sep 3rd 2015)

Hahaha bless her, it's as big as she is! :)
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2015 3:21pm (Sep 3rd 2015)

Isn't she gorgeous? Will she grow any more Lynn, or is she going to be carried around in your handbag?? :D
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2015 11:42pm (Sep 3rd 2015)

So cute!! Look at all that fur!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2015 7:00am (Sep 4th 2015)

She's going to be carried around, CC..She's as big as she's going to get now, she had her first birthday last week..She had ice cream and cake with Frodo and a couple other pups in the neighborhood (a Birthday Party)..she got several new toys for her birthday too..ok, so she's spoiled rotten.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2015 1:19pm (Sep 4th 2015)

Lynn, what mix is she - I know she is Yorkie, but is it Shih Tzu she is crossed with? Whatever it is she is adorable, and SO tiny!!

Happy Birthday to her too, I can't believe she is one already! :heart:
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2015 7:28pm (Sep 5th 2015)

Shih Tzu X Yorkie..."Shorkie", Red. Her mama was the Shih Tzu. Frodo is a "Borgie"..Border Collie and Corgie, his mama was the Border Collie. All it really mean is they are just "Mutts" that you have to pay a fortune for and they call them "Designer Dogs" LOL
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2015 8:25pm (Sep 5th 2015)

Haha I hear you there, just the other day someone was selling 'Sprollies' for £750...from what I know of the mix they are really only suitable for experienced, committed homes...not someone who wants a laid back "family" dog, as they were being advertised!

I thought I could see Shih Tzu in Chloe!! You can really see the Yorkie too, but I think Shih Tzu shines out more to me - what do most people see first?
    Kasper's mum was a Springer, dad was a Border Collie :)
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2015 8:00pm (Sep 7th 2015)

Sprollies? Springer x collie?
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2015 8:52pm (Sep 8th 2015)

Oh yes, that's their "designer" name :sarcastic:
    • CommentTimeSep 11th, 2015 11:17pm (Sep 11th 2015)

Kasper looks more like his mother's side of the family.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 14th, 2015 9:33pm (Sep 14th 2015)

I used to see Border Collie first, but I think that's because I had seen / been around more Border Collies. I was very close to Ellie, and she was a Collie cross so I think it carried across. I don't know which breed I see first now...I just see a goofball :tooth: