• CommentTimeJun 17th, 2015 2:27pm (Jun 17th 2015) edited

I still want Twoli to go in a slightly bigger cage. Width is significantly more important than height, and I don't want it to be massive, just a little bigger. We don't have that much room! It can have more height than width, as long as it does have SOME width, if that makes sense :smile:

So...I either leave Twoli in the Jenny Rat (L80cm x W50cm x H70cm) and buy the finches a new cage, which would probably be this one:

76 x 45.5 x 46 cm

It's really a bargain at £20!

Good size for finches, and it's really cheap, or I buy Twoli a bigger cage. It can't be amazingly expensive (we spent £60 on the one that broke!) and not too big. So far I've found these ones...

64 x 46.5 x 90.5cm
    This one is quite narrow, not as wide as the Jenny, but significantly taller. It's £51; it's the most expensive one on the list and probably the worst haha!

These two are the ones I'm really stuck between.

This is a hamster / rat cage. It's a whopping 100x54x64cm, so has fantastic width! It's £39.99

It has large enough doors that Twoli can fit through them. My one problem is that there aren't many horizontal bars, and Two uses them a lot to get about...but maybe if there were plenty of toys and perches it'd be okay?

And then there's this one, which is actually a bird cage. Still not as many horizontal bars as I'd like. It's 76 x 45 x 90 cm; good width with the added bonus of height. Only £34.90.

If you click 'see customer's photos' you get a better idea for the size, and there are some 'tiels and parrots in there (photos 7, 12 and 20 have 'tiels, 13 has lovebirds I think). It looks huge!

What do you think?

Currently we are getting Twoli used to being out the cage (this has not been easy!!). He still hates fingers, but will (just about) step onto a perch. So he has free-flying a few times a week at the moment, although he doesn't really fly that much...usually he just sits :rolling:

But I'm assuming he'll get used to flying at some point :smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2015 2:41pm (Jun 17th 2015)

Lyle is leaning towards the rat cage (second from the bottom), as it gives Twoli more width to fly. One vote for the rat cage!
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2015 4:30pm (Jun 17th 2015)

I thought the rat cage looked quite palatial as well. Two for the rat cage!
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2015 11:22pm (Jun 17th 2015) edited

I think that is the wisest choice too, consider it ordered :smile:

It can also be used for lots of different animals, so if (for whatever reason) Twoli moved out of it, a guinea pig / rats / hamster etc would happily live in there. I think Twoli's really going to like it, I can't wait for it to arrive :bigsmile:
    We measured how big it is - it's bigger than Zoey's crate!! :gasp:
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2015 5:14pm (Jun 19th 2015)

Hey Twoli's cage is supposed to arrive tomorrow! We only ordered it a few days ago, and opted for free delivery instead of express delivery - even that was only £3 extra, but I'm glad we didn't bother now :smile:

I hope it's good, I'll post photos if all goes well!
    • CommentTimeJun 21st, 2015 1:47am (Jun 21st 2015) edited

It arrived today - it's wonderful! :)

I would recommend this cage for lots of other pets, and for a smaller sized bird it's perfect! It makes the Jenny Rat look tiny, which is funny. Took a while to build as it didn't come with any instructions, but Lyle managed it :tooth:

Moving Twoli across was a HUGE pain! After 30 mins we succeeded and he seems very happy with his new accommodation. He's pootled about, got excited over the same cuttlefish that was in his last cage ( :sarcastic: ) and checked all his toys are still fun. Seems a happy chap, and we love it :smile:

Old cage to new cage
      mess1.jpg
      twoli5.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 21st, 2015 5:44pm (Jun 21st 2015)

What a palace! Really reasonable for the size of cage - bargain!
    • CommentTimeJun 21st, 2015 11:30pm (Jun 21st 2015)

I know, it's huuuuuge!!! Twoli really likes it, he has had renewed fervour in all his toys and has even flapped from one perch to the other a few times. This is something he never does, the only time he has used his wings properly is when he had escaped and was panicking :rolling:

The door locks are pretty crappy and not safe for any pet, in my opinion. They're just a bar you slide up, and the doors fall open! Twoli was playing with the bar today and the door opened! So intelligent birds and bigger rodents would need to be watched very carefully. We've fixed it by putting clips above the bar so it can't be lifted.
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2015 3:33pm (Jun 22nd 2015)

Posted By: Red

Yet. :rolling:
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2015 11:59pm (Jun 22nd 2015)

When I finally spotted Twoli in the new cage I could see how much bigger it is! Is width more important so he can fly side to side? I would've assumed height was better (so he could fly up) but I suppose that's false logic really. I'm glad he's so happy in it - who's getting the old cage, it must be crying out for a new resident! :wink:
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2015 12:53am (Jun 23rd 2015)

I think width is generally more important for birds that realistically are small enough to be able to fly in their cages. So finches especially really benefit from cages with a lot of length as they're tiny and flit about all over the place, whereas once you get to an Elvis parrot, the bigger the cage the better in any direction :smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 27th, 2015 6:23pm (Jun 27th 2015)

I love the new cage, Red. It gives him so much more room to flap his wings. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 27th, 2015 7:16pm (Jun 27th 2015)

It's a really good cage. I can't believe it isn't more popular. I found a cage which is exactly half the size (which is the recommended dimension for a Cockatiel cage) and it was £79!!!
    :gasp: