• CommentTimeAug 23rd, 2015 8:15pm (Aug 23rd 2015) edited

Zoey began limping a week ago, so she has been on restricted exercise. She hasn't limped for several days now so we have been gradually increasing her movement and exercise.

I discovered that balance balls / discs were good for dogs; it helped tone their muscles, improve their balance and was good for recovering from injuries. Unfortunately the disc we would buy costs £50, so for now we'll make our own...from couch cushions!!

This works and, as you will see from the following photos, Zoey (really really) enjoys her training sessions with her balance stack :)

I don't give her any cues / instructions in regards to what I want her to do, I simply mark and reward her for interacting with the cushions...she gets rewarded for jumping on them, sitting on them, laying on them, waving her paws, digging...you get the idea :P

At first Zoey thought we were going to pick her up to put her harness on, so she hid under the table...this is her concerned face :tooth:

photo balance_zpsxr0efadw.jpg

Once the couch cushions were on the floor she came sprinting out and was very enthusiastic, focused and engaged

photo balance6fix_zpskibupcml.png

(her look of concentration :rolling: )

photo balance12_zpsi7vae6io.jpg

Waiting for me to get more treats

photo balance9_zpsvqgqyvwc.jpg

Muscular girl

photo balance7_zpssrbwmae5.jpg

Waving her paw

photo balance18_zpsogmxgqlf.jpg

Once she'd offered a few behaviours on the cushion I would click but throw her treat across the room. This meant she would chase after it and reset her position, so she had to jump on the stack again and could begin offering things from scratch

photo balance5_zps1vo3hibi.jpg

Look at her ears and her face! :heart:

photo balance4_zpswm1j7l47.jpg

The one and only thing I encouraged her to do was this: lean forwards to get the treat whilst keeping all four paws on the cushions. The movement is supposed to be really good for the dog.

photo balance11fix_zpso4xjoibj.png

Lyle snapped this wonderful photo as I was refilling the treat bag. Zoey was happy to sit and wait on the cushions...in fact she was happy, full stop. This is training at it's best; the dog is involved, enthusiastic and both dog and trainer are having fun!

photo balance17_zpsktpvdznt.jpg

Check out the thread 'Zoey's balancing act' on the hencam forum for more pics :)
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd, 2015 8:23pm (Aug 23rd 2015)

Oh, and here's the new trick we're working on...Zoey saying her prayers :rolling:

photo balance15_zpsylradp8e.png

Her back legs are extended upright, on the floor, whilst her front legs are flat out on the cushions :tooth:

photo balance16fix_zpsfw5222nt.png
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2015 9:19pm (Aug 25th 2015)

She really does look happy! Just how I like to see a dog!!
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2015 9:12pm (Aug 26th 2015) edited

She's a good girl :)
    Off lead dog charged her today :( Huge American Bulldog (the breed she is most afraid of :sarcastic: ). The dog was very pushy and rude, bordering on aggression. The owner appeared yelling at the dog and grabbed it by the collar, Lyle had picked Zoey up to try save her from any trauma (I wasn't there to see any of this). The dog's owner said the dog had escaped from the garden, but after Lyle went to get the house number he saw a dog bed outside the back door - there wasn't a garden, just an alleyway down all the rear end of the houses, so the dog was probably just left there off lead.

Coincidentally this is the dog we have seen someone punching when out on walks. We called the off lead encounter in and reported it, so they have a record if we need to report anything else in the future.

Poor poor Zoey. Apparently she did really well. She wasn't enjoying herself but she coped, and when Lyle bent to pick her up she jumped into his arms :heart:

I wish people could keep their dogs under control...
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2015 9:23pm (Aug 26th 2015)

Poor Zoey - and poor bulldog. It obviously doesn't have a good life and seems to be an accident waiting to happen. Isn't it a banned breed and therefore has to be muzzled in future? Only problem is if you report it the dog will be taken away and destroyed.
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2015 9:36pm (Aug 26th 2015) edited

No American Bulldogs aren't a banned breed. American Pit Bull Terriers are. I actually really like the breed (American Bulldogs); if they weren't so big and didn't have quite a few common health worries I would love to have one. I've met lots, both out in the world and in rescue, and they have all been utter sweet hearts...I'll bet this one is a lovely dog, but I've only seen it when it has been miserable and stressed.

Posted By: Katebseems to be an accident waiting to happen

100% this.

And whilst I understand that if they took the dog it would probably be PTS (which would be horrible) I'd rather that than even risk it attacking one of my dogs. I love all dogs, but mine come first...I feel horrible for it sometimes, especially because it's the owners who are to blame and not the dog itself.

Hopefully the owner/s will learn from this experience though and not let it off lead again, I've never seen it off before.
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2015 10:22pm (Aug 26th 2015)

Fingers crossed they learn a lesson and I quite agree, you have to put your dogs first. They are well behaved and cared for and should be protected. II'll have to google the breed.

I'm glad Zoey coped so well and hope it wasn't too traumatic for her and Lyle.
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2015 6:39pm (Sep 2nd 2015)

I love the pictures of Zoey's Smiley face..she is just the cutest little girl!
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2015 12:58pm (Sep 3rd 2015)

Thank you Lynn, she really does love to smile :)
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2015 11:51pm (Sep 3rd 2015)

There was an awful story in our local news about an American Bulldog this week. A man stole an 18 month old family pet and threw it from the 13th floor of a block of flats. Needless to say the dog didn't survive. I have no idea why and there can be no justification whatsoever for such cruelty. I hope he is punished appropriately though I doubt he will be.
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2015 7:06am (Sep 4th 2015)

Someone should throw him out a 13th floor window and see how he likes it...how terrible!!:face-crying:
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2015 1:20pm (Sep 4th 2015)

Oh no Kate that is horrible... :face-crying: The poor dog must have been so scared and it was just a baby... :(
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2015 7:23pm (Sep 4th 2015)

To cheer us up: Private Eye has a cartoon of a kid bringing his mouse back to the pet shop and saying 'I've had this a while now; am I due for an upgrade?'
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2015 9:03pm (Sep 4th 2015)

Groan CC!!!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2015 8:26pm (Sep 5th 2015)

Lyle has been telling some terrible jokes, I think he gets them from a podcast he listens to...I wish he didn't feel the need to share them :rolling:
    • CommentTimeSep 6th, 2015 8:04pm (Sep 6th 2015)

I like stupid jokes...:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2015 7:57pm (Sep 7th 2015)

Me too - and they always make me laugh, the more stupid the better!
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2015 8:55pm (Sep 8th 2015)

Oh, you'll love these then :sarcastic: I've told him to log on and post some...he won't though, he'll forget. I'll give it a few days then ask him to tell me one so I can type it out :rolling:
    • CommentAuthorEdge
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2015 12:11pm (Sep 10th 2015) edited

We went to see a Spanish magician the other day. On the count of 3 he said he would make himself disappear. He counted "Uno Dos" and then poof. Gone without a tres.

How can you make an octopus laugh? Ten tickles

My friend works at an orange factory. They have two jobs to do there, baggers and juicers. He's a bagger but the other went to see the boss for a promotion to the juicing department. His boss told him "Sorry son, baggers can't be juicers"

What do you call half a baguette? A bagu, because you ette the rest.

Red doesn't appreciate my art! :D
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2015 7:24pm (Sep 10th 2015)

Love 'em - MORE!
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2015 10:31pm (Sep 10th 2015)

Baggers can't be juicers!! Love it - my favourite of this post. More more more please!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 11th, 2015 11:24pm (Sep 11th 2015)

groan...waaahahaha..Love them, Lyle!