• CommentTimeSep 4th, 2015 2:02pm (Sep 4th 2015) edited

A week and a half ago a new little guy came and joined our family :)

We have been waiting since May, but he came earlier than planned (we were planning to wait until next spring). The breeder, the mother and the puppies were fantastic - and the 'pick of the litter' was available so we couldn't resist! The puppies were 5 weeks old when we first met him, and we saw him again at 6 weeks. Here he is having lunch with his brothers and sister!

photo 6wk2day2_zpslcoqt4pv.jpg

He is a Border Terrier. We wanted a small dog; one that didn't have super-crazy energy levels (*cough* Kasper *cough*), didn't shed heavily, was small (around 12 inches), light enough to carry and take on public transport (ideally no heavier than 10kg), a generally healthy breed, and one where I could meet with the breeders and see their dogs, ask questions etc.

It was very important to get a well bred dog that has had the best start in life, as I plan to take this little guy on trips out, public transport etc. Towards the start of summer we contacted dozens of breeders and breed clubs, of various breeds, asking what the breed was like and seeing if they thought it could suit us. We really wanted to find a breed that matched what we wanted. We considered:

1) Havanese - ruled them out as it was very hard to find a good breeder, their grooming requirements wouldn't suit our needs (I don't mind the grooming, but going for walks to the beach / fields / forest is difficult as bits get caught in their fur and can cause problems!)

2) Lowchen - As above, grooming after walks could be a problem and finding a responsible breeder was tricky.

3) Whippet - we both love Whippets, but the worry was that they would be too fragile as a puppy (especially with our big oafs running into them!) and they would struggle in the cold. They're also slightly larger than we were planning; they're light but gangly!

4) Bedlington Terrier - love this breed and the dogs that we met. Unfortuntaely finding a good breeder was really difficult, as there are health tests that should be carried out.

5) Toy / Miniature Poodle - never thought I'd have considered a Poodle as my final dog, but they're actually exactly what we wanted...low shedding (virtually no shedding!), calm, usually friendly, intelligent, can be active and a good size. Finding a breeder was tricky (I found a few good ones that said they health tested the parents, but they got uppity when I asked them questions or asked if I could meet the dogs?!), and the more I read about grooming requirements the more I worried it would be too much.

6) Finally, the Border Terrier! Now this is a breed I have hated since my teenage years, as my friend had a Border Terrier that was from a crappy breeder, and they didn't socialise / train it. But the more I read about the breed, the more it seemed to fit...small (perfect height and weight), yet sturdy enough to be bowled over even when young! Low shedding, minimal grooming, active yet moulds to the activities of the household, and they're a very healthy breed...so yeah :smile:

We talked to breed clubs and breeders, and we met up with some of the dogs. We found our breed and have been waiting and planning since May.
    Sorry, I have warbled...let me introduce Raiden (Rey for short) as I know that's all that really matters! Pics incoming... :)
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2015 2:02pm (Sep 4th 2015) edited

This is from the car ride home when we picked him up at 8 weeks old - he whined five minutes total, on a 30 minute car ride, and the rest of the time he slept. No accidents, no sickness, nothing!

photo car3_zpswirzjyzr.jpg

Little stubby legs!!!

photo room1_zpsudhzxndm.jpg
    His beloved fishy fish :)

photo 4thday_zps9powhwwj.jpg

Look at those tiny needle teeth!

photo 3rdday_zpsbzo58cgk.jpg
    He loves the grown up bed :tooth:

photo 3rdday2_zpsbmrglyww.jpg

He has been home for 1 week and 3 days; he is now 9 weeks and 3 days old. I will post about the intro's, training and house training in the usual thread as soon as I have finished my dinner...this is just a proper introductory thread :bigsmile:

I haven't posted about him until now as I was planning on surprising my parents...they are coming to see Rey this weekend :)
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2015 7:07pm (Sep 4th 2015)

He's so beautiful...:heart:
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2015 7:10pm (Sep 4th 2015)

Aargh, posted too soon... what was I going to say...? Ah yes, I wondered what the other two made of him. Observation; those little teeth are going to HURT!!!:face-smile: Anyway he's completely gorgeous and I forgive you for keeping him a secret!
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2015 9:00pm (Sep 4th 2015)

What a little heartbreaker! He is phenomenally cute and I'm looking forward to seeing him grow. Are the other 2 pleased to have a new baby brother, or is there sibling jealousy?!
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2015 7:37pm (Sep 5th 2015)

OMG..I was looking for a Border Terrier, when I got Chloe..but they are few and far between over here. I'm In Love with another one of your Dogs!!!!!! Please take LOTS of pictures..I'm so jealous you have one. What are you going to name him??
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2015 8:31pm (Sep 5th 2015)

CC Zoey is thrilled to have a little brother...it's gonna take a lot of work to teach them to settle in the same room as each other :rolling: Kasper is less impressed, but handy in that when the puppy is too boisterous or nippy, Kasper tells him off...this will help Rey behave appropriately, with Kasper at least!

Thanks Kate!! So far Zoey has shown no signs of jealousy (she gets sad if we're in the pen with Raiden, as she wants to be with him too!), but Kasper has resource guarded a few things and told the puppy off for being bouncy, little grumpy man that he is :heart:

Haha no way Lynn!! How bizarre that we would get one - you can share him through us, I will be sure to post lots of pics hehe :smile: I'll probably post all the updates in the 'A big welcome to a little pup' thread, so feel free to go browse them all :bigsmile:
    He's called Raiden (Ray-den), but we call him Rey for short :)
    • CommentTimeSep 6th, 2015 6:31am (Sep 6th 2015)

He's soooo cute, Red. My darling Chloe has started doing "bad" things lately..she chewed up the corner of a cabinet a couple of days ago..and tonight she chewed the recharging cord to my little Dyson handvac..it's going to take 2 weeks for a new one to get here..She has just started doing bad stuff..she use to be so good about not chewing things..I can't figure out why she has taken up doing it now that she's a year old, she has all her teeth already. :face-sad:
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2015 9:19pm (Sep 8th 2015) edited

Thank you Lynn :heart: At least as Chloe is so tiny she should hit full maturity faster than a large breed haha!

Kasper calmed down at around 3 or 4 years old. Zoey is still a puppy in an adult's body...she's never chewed anything she wasn't supposed to though, other than one book, so we've been lucky in that regards...there was a LOT of management involved when she was young though!! She would still willingly (and enthusiastically) shreds paper tissues and packaging of course :sarcastic:

Rey loves to chew and tug straps (my camera strap, the lead when it's hung up etc) and rag the large dog bed. We've been redirecting him, either calling him to us or distracting him with one of his toys...thankfully we can pop him in his pen for nap time and we can have a break, so I don't have to keep my eyes on him 24/7 :rolling:
    How old is Frodo now, does he act like an adult yet? :)
    • CommentTimeSep 11th, 2015 11:21pm (Sep 11th 2015)

Frodo will be 2 yrs. old in November, he's not quite an "adult" yet..still goofy.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 14th, 2015 9:29pm (Sep 14th 2015)

Zoey is gonna be three next month, and she's still a goofy puppy at heart *sigh* gotta love 'em for it! :sarcastic:
    • CommentTimeSep 15th, 2015 4:17pm (Sep 15th 2015)

Mum's labrador was a puppy when he died...at 10!
    • CommentTimeSep 15th, 2015 11:48pm (Sep 15th 2015)

A family member just lost their dog, a rescue Doberman cross, at fifteen years old...amazing as he spent most his life vastly overweight. He was a well loved and wonderful dog, though he didn't stop being a puppy until he was about 8 :smile: