• CommentTimeOct 25th, 2015 9:31pm (Oct 25th 2015) edited

I'm starting a thread to document how well trimming Kasper's (and possible the others') nails goes...

Currently I've paused counterconditioning him to the dremel for daily filing sessions, to actually get his nails to a decent length...THEN I'll begin dremel training again :smile:

Before filing (yes I know, hideously long):
     photo nailfile_zpscbgurn4g.jpg

During the first filing session:
     photo nailfile1_zpsgbfrept3.jpg

After the first session:

On the second day of filing we didn't make that much process, we had run out of high value treats and so were having to use boring dog treats. We kept the session incredibly short and the file pressure very light, so Kasper was comfortable, and stopped after less than a minute.

Third day / session, 4 minutes of filing resulting in this!

Day 4:
     photo quick3_zpsjk5rpqat.png

Day 5 - wow wow wow, look at this! ^__^
     photo quick4_zps7os0zxel.png

I will edit this post to add photos, so they are all in one post and you can easily scroll and watch them shorten!
    • CommentTimeOct 25th, 2015 9:35pm (Oct 25th 2015) edited

Background: Kasper is a 5 year old Border Collie x Springer Spaniel. Up until he was three his nails never needed help keeping short, but as he got older they began growing. For the past two years I have been slowly (and often sporadically) working with Kasper on body handling, paw handling (including duration of having his paws meddled with), general grooming and 'clippers = happy things' training.

Recently I heard about the dremel, and how dogs that are fearful of clippers usually find the dremel less scary, especially if introduced slowly. So I asked for a dremel for my birthday off my parents, but I knew that it would take weeks / months to get him ready for dremelling (especially as he is / was scared of 'noisy' things, eg. vacuum, shaver, hair dryer). And obviously I needed to shorten his nails in the meantime.

A few weeks ago we had success in that Kasper let me clip a few tiny slivers off one nail with standard guillotine clippers, but he wasn't comfortable and it wasn't a way I could shorten his nails quickly. Then I bought a hardware file, and I was ready to go - it's been amazing!

photo nailime_zpsix99pcrn.jpg

The file has worked really well. With Kasper being fed high value (lunch meat, peanut butter etc) treats constantly I can easily file for 2 - 5 minutes, with everybody happy and comfortable. I could probably easily do three sessions a day, with Kasper being happy, but it's a struggle fitting in filing, intro's / calming sessions between our dogs, training sessions, puppy socialisation trips, everyone's walks AND walking other dogs...one a day will do for now :smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 27th, 2015 7:03pm (Oct 27th 2015) edited

I posted yesterday's progress pic in the fist post, but here are some additional photos...

It used to touch the floor :smile:

photo nailfile7_zpshgmf435r.jpg

And a few comparison pics...second nail on same paw

photo nailfile8_zpsfbcmdyxc.jpg

photo nailfile9_zps56tn3lub.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 29th, 2015 12:35am (Oct 29th 2015) edited

I'm so, so happy with today's progress ^__^

Couple of extras, these ones don't have the quick pointed out like the one above does, but still interesting...

photo nailfile13_zpshbfhtdzx.jpg

And Zoey really doesn't mind her paws handled...all fun and games to her! You can see her short nails here :smile:

photo nailzoey_zps8tpmjnte.jpg
    • CommentAuthorEdge
    • CommentTimeOct 29th, 2015 1:49pm (Oct 29th 2015)

I can't believe you have found something that works, it's so awesome. Almost one nail down now! :)
    • CommentTimeOct 29th, 2015 10:50pm (Oct 29th 2015)

I still want to use the dremel in future though...if we can ever get to that point! :tooth: Will be so cool if (when?) we get all the nails short :smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 4th, 2015 7:24pm (Nov 4th 2015)

My Chloe has all black nails, I just let the groomer take care of them, since I can't see the quick at all.
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2015 9:53pm (Nov 6th 2015) edited

Most of Kasper's nails are black, and all of Rey's are too. Interestingly when I file Kasper's nails, because the black ones are tougher, they actually make a different noise to the white ones!

Kasper's nail is pretty much done for now (we've been slacking and had four days off so haven't got as much done as I'd like >__< ) and we've moved onto a black one...let's see how long this one takes!

photo nailfile17_zpsifbwmno3.jpg
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2015 6:31pm (Nov 7th 2015)

A good job you're so patient, Red!
    • CommentTimeNov 8th, 2015 10:30pm (Nov 8th 2015) edited

Thanks CC! :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2016 5:37pm (Feb 22nd 2016) edited

WE CUT KASPER'S NAILS! Stress free, with him totally compliant, and with clippers! I cut 50mm off the outer nail!!

The paw on the left (so Kasper's right) is the one we have been filing the nails down on. The white nails on the right paw are the ones I seriously clipped today - I left the black one alone, look at the difference!

photo nails2_zpsqsvnnvd5.jpg

Look at that! I daredn't cut any more now, don't want to nick the quick (yes I am an overly cautious wimp :rolling: ). I'll just file the rest :smile:

photo nails_zpsgswjhduq.jpg

The black nails I'm planning on filing, no clippers. At least until I get some scissor style clippers, which are supposed to be more comfortable for the dog and easier to use...who knows though, I'm just proud of us all for getting this far!! :bigsmile: :woohoo:

Look at him surrounded by all the bits :rolling: ...scissors to trim the hair, clippers and the file to blunt any sharp bits!

photo nail3_zps61mpvsle.jpg

Good day all, good day :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2016 2:02pm (Feb 23rd 2016)

Well done thats a fantastic achievement
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2016 5:06pm (Feb 23rd 2016)

Thank you!! I really want to get cracking on the others but I'm making myself wait a few days so any anxiety to do with his paws can recede.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2016 5:26pm (Feb 23rd 2016)

O well DONE Red, he was so scared, wasn't he? You must have the patience of a saint!:face-angel:
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2016 6:13pm (Feb 24th 2016) edited

Thank you CC! :yay_jump: It's taken some doing but I'm so pleased we're finally seeing a difference :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2016 9:15pm (Feb 28th 2016)

You did a fantastic job on Kasper's nails, Red!! Way to go! You want to come over here and cut Chloe and Frodo's nails for me?? :lol:
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th, 2016 5:47am (Feb 29th 2016) edited

:rolling: Thanks Lynn - I have some scissor style clippers on the way from amazon (they're apparently supposed to be more comfortable for the dog than guillotine style ones, don't put as much pressure on the nail as they cut I've read lots) so how about once they've arrived I pop over to yours?! Hahaha :rofl:

Hey you could always try a scratchboard in all seriousness, it has worked SO WELL with Raiden, and for the first five months we had him his nails were like talons. After just one proper session with the scratchboard, once he got the 'game', they were much shorter, and after two we were near the quick :smile:

I really need to make Kasper a huge scratchboard and see if he enjoys it, but the few times I tried with the little one he wasn't that enthusiastic :sarcastic:

• CommentTimeMar 4th, 2016 12:37am (Mar 4th 2016) edited

My new clippers arrived the other day (scissor style ones) and Kasper thinks they are SO much better than the guillotine ones I was using before, you can just tell he is much more comfortable with them.

They're also much, MUCH easier to just take tiny shavings off, which makes me feel more comfortable and means I can get closer to the quick. I clipped all his white nails on his left paw, and today I clipped the ones on his right paw a bit too - I have NEVER been able to do nail work like this before! :woohoo: His nails on his left paw are much shorter now, I need to file them right down to the quick now, and eventually I'll have to start on the black ones *gulp*

You can't see quite how long the black nail is here (damn you black nail!!) but it's a lot longer than the white next to it - I am most proud of the little stubby nail on the left though! :smile:

photo nails5_zps6wsd5v1x.jpg

And scratchboard work has begun...just sending him off and marking him for swiping at the board, next step is to tape sandpaper all over it

photo scratchboo1_zpsjiohhz9l.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2016 10:21am (Mar 4th 2016) edited

Wow I just looked at the post from slightly over a week ago, look at this difference :)

photo nails_zpsgswjhduq.jpg

Paw on the left, yesterday, that nail on the right was so long!

photo nails5_zps6wsd5v1x.jpg

Paw on the right, yesterday (look at the difference between the black nail!):

• CommentTimeApr 19th, 2016 2:30pm (Apr 19th 2016) edited

Haven't updated for a while, but as I couldn't do much else I gave Kasper a pedicure over the weekend...even shaved his paws with a strimmer, first time I've ever been able to do this!

photo grooming4_zpskvbyswee.jpg

I cut the white nails with a clipper...now I know how to cut nails and I have new clippers, it's really damn easy and I actually enjoy it. You can see the difference between a (clipped) white nail here and an untrimmed black nail

photo nails1_zpsvq2oruac.jpg

With the black nails I don't like trimming Kasper's because his nails are SO thick, and the black ones are super thick...so I use the hardware file for those, and you can see the difference here. That was the same nail as above!

photo nails4_zpstb2mala1.jpg

And here you can see we are getting closer to the quick...

photo nails5_zpsk7wp4qzt.jpg

All nails on this paw are trimmed!!!

photo nails3_zpslza6tyil.jpg

His hairy other foot haha...it's since been shaved! There are two black nails that need filing on this paw, then we'll be done for now :smile:

photo nails2_zpsbr3mej4l.jpg

Looking good!

photo grooming3_zps6df0iq2z.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2016 8:53pm (May 2nd 2016)

Nail update, we're looking so good now!! :woohoo:

All nails here trimmed:

photo goodnails_zpspiutngwe.jpg

photo goodnails1_zpsx28sihzu.jpg

I leave the black nails a little longer as I still get nervy that I can't see the quick

photo goodnails3_zpsd5a8hp6r.jpg

I CANNOT BELIEVE the progress! Kasper's nails are now at a length I am happy with for the first time since he was extremely young, and I actually enjoy cutting his nails! He should feel much happier having his nails shorter, and hopefully we can push the quicks back a little bit more :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2016 8:54pm (May 2nd 2016)

Oh, bonus photo of Raiden's little stubs :rolling: